I recently installed Outlook 2007 on a HyperV Windows 2008 R2 server terminal server talking to Exchange 2010 on another HyperV on the same box.
The server is a Dual Xeon with RAID 10 SAS drives pumping out 800Mb/s throughput yet Outlook 2007 would take about 8 seconds to open. Rubbish!
I found by disabling all add-ins in Outlook 2007 the open time was 75% faster – down to 2 seconds. More like it!
To disable the comms add ons do the following:
- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
- Find Outlook.exe and then right-click it
- Select Run as administrator
- In Outlook go to Tools > Trust Center
- Select Add-ins on the left side of the window,
- click on the Go button on the bottom.
- Uncheck all add-ins except windows
- OK all the way out
- Restart outlook and notice the difference!